Tensor CS, Inc.
Innovation in Communications
John B. Gadoury
Areas of Specialization
· AM, FM, BPSK / QPSK, QAM, FDMA, TDMA, CDMA
· Various Hybrids
· Multi-carrier and Multi-channel Systems
· Optimum Signal Detection Algorithms
Communication Privacy and Security
· Digital Encryption Algorithms and Systems
· VPN Technology
Mitigation of Channel Induced Distortion
· Time, Space, Frequency and Polarization Diversity
· Adaptive Filtering
· Error correction Coding
· Propagation Path Analysis and Design
· Frequency Synthesis and Stability
· Linerized Amplifiers
· Antenna Design
· System Protocols
· Low Noise AGC Amplifier
· Limiter Amplifier
· Frequency Synthesis and Stability
· Frequency Conversion
· Carrier recovery
· Timing recovery
· Analog and Digital Signal Conditioning
· Analog, IF and RF Filters, SAW Filters and Correlators
· OP Amps, Instrumentation Amps, Log Amps, AD and DA Converters, IF and RF Amplifiers
· PLL Frequency Synthisis
· Digital Filtering and Signal Processing, Multiplexer and Demultiplexer Architecture and Design
· Terrestrial and Satellite LOS (50 MHz through 120 GHz)
· Urban Propagation
· Mixed Dielectrics
· Maple Mathlab
· Agilent ADS
· Visual Basic
· Cadence Concept HDL
· FPGS /CPLD Design Actel, Lattice, Xilinx
· FCC Intentional and Non-intentional Emitter Certification
· FDA Type II Electronic Instrument Certification
· US Military Acceptance procedures
Reliability and Maintainability
· Design to Military and Bell Standards To Achieve Specific Reliability Requirements
· Redundant and Hot Swappable System Design
· BITE Design and Failure Analysis and Reporting
Consulting And Contract Engineering
· Twenty five years experience consulting in the commercial and military arenas
· Communications Systems Consultant to the Pakistani Army for their Telecommunications Infrastructure Upgrade
· LOS Path design for Egyptian Army
· UHF Satellite to Satellite Communications Link for the GPS System
· Provided guidance in the development of both LOS and Troposcatter Channel Simulators
· Provided guidance in many areas of RF and IF Communications hardware
· Developed MIB tables and algorithms for a software based network control system
· Developed the requirements and software for K-12 school Productivity software package
· HF and UHF antenna design program development concept and coding
· Fifteen years of lead technical experience in establishing and managing multidisciplinary design and development teams
· Recruited a team of professionals for the design to production of a wireless medical sensor
· Lead a team of engineers in the design to market of a unique RF based asset location system
· Developed a millimeter wave urban radio system to distribute varying sized groups of T! channels to remote locations from a centrally located hub.
· Lead a successful proposal team at GTE Government System and subsequently the design team in the development of a strategic troposcatter communications system for the Berlin Boxburg corridor in Germany.
· Lead a number of R&D teams in various aspects of military communications systems ranging from MSE command post upgrades to refurbishing submarine infrastructure
· Developed an idea for a wireless patient monitoring system from concept through final architecture. This project included the research of medical developments, FDA and FCC requirements, design to cost and functionality. The system will monitor a number of patients from a single wireless base station, analyze the received date, initiate appropriate warnings based on a programmable protocol, and can be monitored remotely via secure VPN over the internet.
· Developed software concept for K-12 productivity software ranging from semi automated registration of student body, attendance reporting and school nursing documentation adhering to HIPA and NH standards
· Studied various proposals and concepts for the GPS satellite system including phased arrays, required filtering and power amplifier linearization, ultimately leading to the development of a direct conversion UHF satellite to satellite receiver.
· Improved a military UHF transceiver, last ditch communications capability by 4.9 dB by appropriately redistributing filtering and high gain elements in the RF and IF path.
· Created a practical base station architecture for a wireless based asset location system. The system operating in the 2 GHz frequency space utilized a PN code and digital correlation process for determining the propagation time to and from the base station and modulated that PN code to to down load an asset information table. The design was highly constrained but a number of substantial improvements were proposed and eventually included. The system was type accepted by the FCC and placed into production.
· Reviewed a design for a millimeter wave T1/T3 urban radio system, in the process redefined the system requirements and developed a more reasonable and functional specification including system protocols and developing appropriate BITE and adhering to BELLCOR standards for reliability and interface requirements.
· Conceived the architecture, design and prototyped a radio able to transmit data at rates from 1.5 to 160 Mbps utilizing QPSK, 8PSK, 16 and 64 QAM in bandwidths equal to 2.1, 2.85, 3.8 and 5.7 bits/Hz. More than 95% of all the signal processing was implemented in FPGAs thus preserving the proprietary nature of the design.
· Lead systems engineer responsible for the design of link budgets, evaluation of interference and EMI. The system consisted of a redundant microwave backbone network and local data and telecommunications distribution network to service in excess of 2,000,000 subscribers.
· Wireless Command Post GTE internal development program, designed and developed various conceptual solutions, performed trade studied leading to a candidate architectures that provided both wireless voice and switched packet LAN service to both the MSE mobile command post and the Deep Assault command post of the future. Designed prototypes and demonstrated exceptional system performance.
· Primary responsibility to provided guidance and supervision to link engineering subcontractor for the design and EMI survey of a microwave relay system and local distribution network for the Egyptian Strategic Communications System.
· Lead a technical design team in the development of a fourth order diversity digital communications modem capable of supporting a 10 Mbit data stream through a severely distorted Tropospheric channel. The modem used adaptive filtering techniques to compensate for the channel distortion. The system was fully redundant and supported hot swapping of system modules.
· Linerized UHF Power amplifier using complex signal feedback
· Designed a UHF direct conversion transceiver for the GPS radio navigation system
· Designed the architecture for a millimeter wave RF transceiver and incorporated the design into the Cyberport system
· Developed a flexible digital PSK/QAM modulator able of packing up to 160 Mbps in channels with densities of 5.7 bits/Hz
· Lead systems testing and installation teems in refurbishing and updating the strategic communications for the US Berlin Mission
· Adapted a 10 KW transmitter for use with a strategic troposcatter modem
· Developed an alternative technology to inertial TDMA carrier recovery
· Conducted propagation experiments on a high definition video link operating at millimeter wave frequencies.
· Developed a retro-directive antenna array for a covert ground to aircraft communications system
· Investigated various diversity systems and their application to LOS and troposcatter systems
· Developed a LOS ground to aircraft channel simulator
· Developed an adaptive modem for T1 data transmission over an excess of 5km of twisted pair
· Developed a set of multi-frequency crossed dipoles and 3 dimensional loop antennas for the Apollo LSEP experimental package flown on Apollo 16
· Conducted performance studies of various hybrid FM / PSK modulation schemes
· Developed an ultrasonic channel simulator
· Incorporated a SAW delay line for carrier recovery in a QPSK modem for a highly distorted data channel
· ECL mux/demux for 120 Mbps agregate data rate. Included 48-E1 channels, 1-20 Mbps Video channel and service channels.
· Fast Attack AGC amplifier for a TDMA modem
Full Time Consultant - Tensor CS, Inc. (1998 - Present)
· System and Hardware Development - Tensor CS, Inc (2002 - Present)
· System and Hardware Development - ITT Government Systems Nutley NJ (2001 - 2002)
· LOS path design - Egyptian Army Communications Corps (2001)
· Consultant - BSI Concord NH (2001)
· Systems design and team leader - Pinpoint Corporation, Billerica MA (1998 - 2001)
System Engineer Product Architect - Windata Corp., Littleton MA (1996 - 1997)
System and Hardware Development - Tensor CS, Inc (1994 - 1996)
Senior Member of Technical Staff - GTE Government Systems, Needham Heights, MA (1980 - 1994)
Senior Member of Technical Staff - CNR Inc., Needham, MA (1978 - 1980)
Chief Technical Staff Member - Avanti Communications, Inc Middletown, RI (1976 - 1978)
Member of Technical Staff - Raytheon Co., Various MA locations. (1968 - 1976)
Polytechnic Institute of Brooklyn - Major Physics
Mr. Gadoury has continued his education through seminars ranging from advanced design techniques, management and advanced communications and signal processing techniques including digital and Kalman filtering, multi-target multi-sensor tracking algorithms.